I’ve always favoured snails over slugs when I see them in the garden, not sure why I just think their shells are quite cool. Not that I’d ever hurt a slug, in fact when I was little I stroked a slug with my thumb. That slug goo wouldn’t come off for ages! Not my best idea…
Anyway for day 4 of #30dasywild I thought I would do a bit of snail fact finding after finding this snail on a wall. How much do you know about snails?
- That trail you see on your garden path is from the mucus snails secrete to enable them to move across surfaces without damaging their body.
- Snails have about 14,000 teeth eek!
- There is no point in saying hello to a snail as they have no way to hear you! Their eyesight is pretty poor too but to make up for it they have a really strong sense of smell!
- Snails can smell good up to 2 metres away! Amazing when you consider the scale.
- 1 metre an hour is the top speed of a snail.
- Snails are hermaphrodites. They have both male and female parts. Although technically they can mate with themself they tend to find a partner.
- They can be found all over the world. From the ocean to the desert.